Dispose of Medication Safely
Safely disposing of unused or expired medication protects you, your family, and the environment. Here are some ways you can safely dispose of your unwanted medication including prescriptions, vitamins, and over-the-counter medications.
- Drop unused medications (no liquids) 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the permanent drop box at the Cambridge Police Department, 125 Sixth St. The drop box is located in the first floor lobby, near the Records Unit. For a list of accepted items and other information, visit the police department’s medication drop box web page.
- Mail your medications for free to a company that properly disposes of unused medications in accordance with EPA regulations. These free mailers are available for Cambridge residents at:
- The Cambridge Public Health Department, 119 Windsor St. (ground level). Mailers can also be sent to you upon request by contacting Danielle McPeak at 617-665-3872 or [email protected].
- The Citywide Senior Center (front desk), 806 Massachusetts Ave. in Central Square.
- The North Cambridge Senior Center (front desk), 2050 Massachusetts Ave.
- Drop unused medication with Cambridge police officers at the Department of Public Works’ (DPW) four scheduled Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection events. Ask for the medication drop-off area when you arrive at the HHW disposal event. For more information, visit the DPW Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day web page.
- Throwing out liquid medications? Mix the liquid medication with any absorbent, unappealing material (such as kitty litter or sawdust) and place in a sealed plastic bag before tossing in the trash.
- To dispose of medication in syringes, please use the sharps collection box at the Cambridge Public Health Department (lower lobby, 119 Windsor St) or the Cambridge Police Department.
The city’s medication disposal initiative is a partnership of the Cambridge Police Department (CPS) and the Cambridge Public Health Department (CPHD).
- CPHD and CPS’ Prescription Drug Collection flyer
- Office of National Drug Control Policy’s Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs
Updated: March 24, 2023